Sunday, September 11, 2016

We're Not Using The Zed Word!

I think my love of zombies began when I saw ‘Return of the Living Dead’ on cable in the 1980’s. Frank, played by James Karen, mentioned the film ‘Night of the Living Dead’ when explainging the barrels and how a “real life” event was the inspiration for George Romero to make his zombie movie. This one line planted a seed in my young geek brain. I admit it was Linna Quigley’s nudity that would make me rewatch it but I did enjoy all the horror and finding out why zombies ate people, not people, brains!

The sequel went more for laughs, but it still had great special effects for its time.

Personally I wouldn’t call them zombies since they were capable of talking, reasoning, and using weapons but because Night of the Comet was PG-13 I could and would watch it often. Plus Catherine Mary Stewart was an 80’s crush. I think Zombieland is a close cousin to NotC and who wouldn’t want to drive through a zombie apocalypse with Emma Stone?
I liked Night of the Creeps because it had Russ from European Vacation, the dark humor , and Jill Whitlow, another crush.

I can’t  remember when I first watched the films from the Godfather of The Dead aka George Romero but Dawn of the Dead is my favorite from his repertoire. For my 40th birthday I drove to the Monroeville Mall in Pa. to walk around it. Sadly the store/museum dedicated to the movie was relocating at the time and wasn’t open but they still had displays and models in the front window that paid tribute.

I’ve seena number of bad zombie movies, some enjoyable and some not. The Day of The Dead remake with Ving Rhames and Mena Suvari was laughable since they had a vegetarian zombie. Also people who were bit transformed in seconds to a corpse, had the ability to run and jump, and in some cases heightened strength. I watched it through to the end because I had the disc from Netflix and didn’t want to “waste” my money, and Mena is cute.

Shaun of The Dead introduced me to Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wright. A friend lent me Spaced, the BBC series they worked on prior to the movie and it’s chock filled of zombie references. I’d love to see a sequel to SoTD, perhaps a metaphor for middle age.

When it comes to comic books about zombies, I rarely bought them. My brother got me Marvel Zombies as a birthday present and I enjoyed the sick humor within. He also lent me The Walking Dead collections but I stopped reading them because the fact that Rick and his group would find a safe place and something went wrong with it became tedious. I decided to stop watching the television series after season 5 for the aforementioned reason plus what I read about the season 6 ending.

I was enjoying iZombie because of the humor but the following late night thoughts made me question if I’ll continue watching once more seasons are available; How much of the brain does Liv need to eat to get the memories? How does a dead brain still retain memories? Granted we’ve seen her eat small portions but why/how does those parts have the memories she needs to solve the case. I honestly hated thinking these thoughts because it may have taken away my ability to enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment