Sunday, July 24, 2016

Only The Lonely

I prefer being alone most of the time. I don’t have to answer to anyone, I can do what I want when I want. There’s no hassle when going to the movies or food shopping. No need to make plans to meet at specific time for a walk in the woods. If I want to leave a place early, I go.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve liked being alone.

My ten speed bike was my first taste of “me time”, I would spend hours riding around my neighborhood at night, listening to one or two tapes on my walkman. I would ride from my house in Valhalla to the Toys R’ Us on Central Avenue, which would be an hour and half ride round trip. Add in the time I’d spend checking out LEGO, G.I. Joe, and Star Wars, I’d be on my own for at least two hours.

During the summer, I’d ride to the Westwood Pool and find a spot away from everyone else to lay out my towel. If my friends were working or I ran into them while swimming, I might have socialized for a bit.

My favorite “me time” were the trips to the comic book store in Hawthorne. I’d ride residential streets and if I saw 3 people outside their house that was a lot. Since it was a gradual downhill ride, I didn’t have to pedal much and could slowly coast, which made the journey last longer. Once I had bought my comics, I’d get a Dr. Pepper and sit under a stairwell and read the new issues. It was during those moments when I shut out the world completely.

When I was old enough to take the bus by myself, I’d go to the Galleria Mall to shop, walk around, and check out my favorite stores at my leisure. No need to worry if my friends wanted to check out theirs.

At the age of 23, I moved into my own apartment and I asked my friends to call before they came over. I didn’t have a car then, so when they went out without me, I didn’t mind cause I knew they wouldn’t be bothering me. I had a weekday 9 to 5 job, and Saturdays were my day for me. I’ve recently restarted this tradition and find it relaxing. It’s a little tougher having alone time since I can be reached via cellphone, email, or instant message.

No comments:

Post a Comment