Sunday, July 17, 2016

Let Me Pop In This 8 Track

For as long as I can remember I’ve liked soundtracks to movies and television shows. Whether they’re original songs written for the movie or existing ones used to amplify a scene. One of my earliest memories of a soundtrack was finding a cassette of when I was a geekling singing ‘Day By Day’ from Godspell.

The second I can remember is the record album of The Black Hole, not only did it have the score from the movie but dialog from the movie was included.

I’m sure we had Star Wars A New Hope on vinyl as well but it was the disco version we listened to more.

Using my letterboxd account I can put in order of a film’ release date and The Breakfast Club soundtrack may have been the first soundtrack I purchased myself.

As I got older my collection of movie soundtracks grew with it. The bonus to liking a song from a movie would generate an interest in the band that contributed their song. Muse’s ‘Take a Bow’ was in the trailer for ‘Watchmen’ movie is a great example.

Sometimes I’d buy a soundtrack for a song and unfortunately the rest didn’t appeal to me. Berry Gordon’s The Last Dragon was that first, I liked 2 out of the 10 songs.

Now with iTunes I can buy the songs I like from a movie or tv show though a single song can cost more than the whole album.

No comments:

Post a Comment